ABOUT US FIND OUT MORE
OVERVIEW OF THE LAG
- The Learner Advancement Group is a registered non-profit organisation (NPO) under the NPO Act (Act No. 71, 1997) (registration number 209-562 NPO).
- The group’s primary purpose is to influence the mindset and behaviour of learners positively. We assist learners in discovering their strengths, set career goals, and remain motivated and focused individuals. We believe that our practical and hands-on approach to learning life skills, career coaching, and other forms of support will ensure that learners’ aspirations and talents are nurtured from an early stage.
- Many learners remain demotivated due to various challenges in society (i.e., high rate of unemployment, low standard of living, easy access to illegal substances, peer pressure, exposure to sexual activity at an early age, abuse, and a lack of career coaching and support). We believe that learners need hands-on and structured support to remain committed to the learning process.
- Also, there is a constant need to expose learners to a career coaching framework linked to real-world examples to encourage them to develop a vision for their future and stay committed to their goals. We want learners to take full ownership of the learning process and push themselves, their educators, and parents to new heights.
THE KIND OF IMAGE WE WANT TO PORTRAY
- We care about learners’ future and want to see them succeed by positively influencing how they think and feel about their chosen careers and the future in general.
- We want to drive the following:
– Significantly decrease the school dropout rate.
– Ensure that learners remain motivated and are driven by the desire to achieve good grades and pursue their dreams.
– Improve the matric pass rate.
– Increase the number of learners willing and able to access higher education institutions.
– Improve the employability of learners after matric and generate positive sentiment around the ability to seek employment, join artisan training, etc.
- We understand that learners need career coaching and mentoring; we aspire to play this role.
- We intend to help them overcome their fears and doubts, provide information that is not readily available or accessible, and support them in taking full responsibility for the learning experience during secondary school and beyond Grade 12.
THE LAG VISION, MISSION AND VALUES
Empowering learners with the necessary skills required to define life and career goals and be able to formulate high school exit plans before reaching grade twelve.
- Promoting the development of strong self-awareness, self-confidence, and self-concept.
- Promoting a positive attitude, conduct, and behaviour.
- Encouraging learners to take full responsibility and accountability for their learning.
- Creating an environment that allows learners to speak openly about their challenges in and outside of the classroom.
- Partnering with various government institutions and subject matter experts to resolve challenges that learners experience in their environments.
- Improving commitment to the learning process and the desire to achieve better school grades.
- Guide learners towards better career choices.
- Empowering learners to define career goals and school exit plans.
- Contribute to the overall improvement in the matric pass rate.
- Nourish every learner’s potential to achieve great things.
- Encourage partnerships between key stakeholders in society (i.e., parents, learners, educators, and other role players).
- Promote and maintain ethical conduct in all that we do.
- Become the agents of change that we seek and expect from learners.
- Make a positive contribution and change in communities, society, and the economy at large.
- Create a non-threatening environment that allows learners to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Protect the personal information of individual learners and learner groups.