ABOUT US FIND OUT MORE
OVERVIEW OF THE LAG
- The Learner Advancement Group is a registered non-profit organisation (NPO) in accordance with the NPO Act (Act No. 71, 1997) (registration number 209-562 NPO).
- The group’s main purpose is to influence the mindset and behaviour of learners in a positive way. We assist learners to discover their strengths, set career goals, and remain motivated and focused individuals. We believe that our practical and hands-on approach to career guidance will ensure that learners’ aspirations and talents are nurtured from an early stage. This essential guidance will improve school grades and equip learners to function well, both in and outside the classroom.
- We aim to address the current gap presented by an inadequate focus on learner strengths and career guidance, specifically throughout secondary school.
- Many learners remain demotivated due to various challenges in society (i.e. high rate of unemployment, low standard of living, easy access to illegal substance, peer pressure, exposure to sexual activity at an early age, abuse, and a lack of career guidance and support). We believe that learners are in desperate need of the proper support to remain committed to the learning process.
- There is an urgent need to expose learners to a career guidance framework that is driven by real-world examples to encourage them to develop a vision for their future and stay committed to their goals. We want learners to take full ownership of the learning process and to push themselves, their educators and parents to new heights.
THE KIND OF IMAGE WE WANT TO PORTRAY
- We care about the future of learners and want to see them succeed by positively influencing the way they think and feel about their chosen careers and the future in general.
- We want to drive the following:
– Significantly decrease the school drop-out rate.
– Ensure that learners remain motivated and are driven by the desire to achieve good grades and pursue their dreams.
– Improve the matric pass rate.
– Increase the number of learners willing and able to access higher education institutions.
– Improve the employability of learners after matric and generate positive sentiment around the ability to seek employment, join artisan training, etc.
- We understand that learners need career guidance and other forms of support. Our intent is to help them overcome their fears and doubts, provide information that is not readily available or accessible, and support them in taking full responsibility for the learning experience during secondary school and beyond Grade 12.
THE LAG VISION, MISSION AND VALUES
Empowering learners with the necessary skills required to define life and career goals and be able to formulate high school exit plans before reaching grade twelve.
- Promoting the development of strong self-awareness, self-confidence and self-concept.
- Promoting a positive attitude, conduct and behaviour.
- Encouraging learners to take full responsibility and accountability for their learning.
- Creating an environment that allows learners to speak openly about the challenges they face in and outside of the classroom.
- Partnering with various government institutions and subject matter experts to resolve challenges that learners experience in their environments.
- Improving commitment to the learning process and the desire to achieve better school grades.
- Guiding learners towards better career choices.
- Empowering learners to define career goals and school exit plans.
- Contributing to the overall improvement in the matric pass rate.
- Nourish every learner’s potential to achieve great things.
- Care for learners and their future, and remain fully committed to offer support.
- Encourage partnerships between key stakeholders in society (i.e. parents, learners, educators and other role players).
- Promote and maintain ethical conduct in all that we do.
- Become the agents of change that we seek and expect from learners.
- Make a positive contribution and change in communities, society and the economy at large.
- Create a nonthreatening environment that allows learners to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Protect the personal information of learners and learner groups.